Networking is the key to being successful. What you know, only matters after who you know. Finding a job can be a very long, discouraging process. If you start networking now, then when you need a job you will already have connections. If you wait until you are desperate for a job, then it is too late. Job openings usually don't happen at the exact moment you need a job.
A good way to meet people and follow up with them is by using a business card. If you want someone to be able to contact you, then you need to give them your information. Plus it makes you look more professional anyways. I am considering doing this. At least once I get into grad school, I definitely will. The two ways people fail in networking is: (1) what's in it for me? (2) no follow up. You can't only think about yourself and you have to build a relationship before they can help you.
Life really does have so much to do with who you know, especially for us coming right out of college looking for jobs. I believe a lot of students feel like their 4.0 will get them the job of their dreams. However, if you can't find a way to get an interview with that job, it's pointless. I completely agree with you on the importance of networking.
ReplyDelete