Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Who is watching you?

Today in class we were talking about different cultures.  Some hand gestures in other countries are offensive.  If you do the O.K. sign or the thumbs up sign, then you might be offending someone from another country. If you are presenting to a large group of people, then you should be aware of these signs.  Also what I found interesting is that in Asia making eye contact is rude, but here in the states it shows respect. Just something to think about. You never know who you will be talking to or who is judging you.  Some job interviews, like to take you out to eat so that they can judge your manners.  A general rule is to start with outside utensils and then work your way in.  How you butter your bread can tell your employer if you know good manners.  You should put butter on your bread dish and then butter individual pieces NOT the whole bread. So remember, someone is always watching your actions.  Don't get caught with your fork in the wrong hand!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted about this! I was so fascinated by what is considered "normal" in other cultures. It is the small differences like this that will make a huge difference when it comes to any type of social situation (business meetings, ward gatherings, etc.) After realizing that these social differences are present and could potentially be offensive to someone, it made me want to be more aware of other cultures and their norms so that I will be able to be more successful throughout my career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed going over proper etiquette for business settings. I thought it was interesting when we talked about how you should never "box up" leftovers at an interview. At first, I was a little confused by this rule. You would think it would be a sign of gratitude, since they paid for it. However, it is simply unprofessional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with your statement that, "somebody is always watching your actions." It's so true! And especially as a fellow communications disorders major, this concept certainly falls under the category of pragmatics. How we conduct ourselves in relation to others is an essential social skill that all other modes of communication are dependent on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. This is something that I found very interesting as well. While the whole which fork to use with which course might not matter to me, it could say a lot to another person who is watching. Many people judge on different things. While using the right fork might not be as important as not eating with your mouth open, it still may make the difference between getting a job and getting passed over.

    ReplyDelete