Today I went to a Luncheon at the Sleepy Ridge where David Bradford was speaking. This was a great networking activity. We grabbed some food and then they had us each introduce ourselves and talk about a good or bad experience we have had in an interview. It was a good way to meet each other and find out about each others careers. I was one of two students there and the rest were older and had careers.
As the speaker David Bradford started talking, he called me out of the audience and asked me what I was studying and where I was from. We realized that he was really good friends with my dad. They used to play basketball together all the time. He told me to talk with him afterwards.
After the event I waited until I could talk with him. We chatted for awhile and he told me to e-mail him and he could meet with me next week to try to find me an internship for the summer. Then another man came up to me and asked for my e-mail so that he could connect me with his brother-in-law who is a speech therapist for the Alpine school district.
I e-mailed David Bradford and now we will see what happens. Hopefully we will get to meet next week and start working on interview skills. He has so many connections that I know this will lead to something. This was a great opportunity!
That is so great! I love seeing successful networking experiences - it helps give me the boost I need to start my own networking. The great thing about the ComD major is that there seems to be Speech Therapists all over the place.
ReplyDeleteThat is so awesome that he picked you out of the crowd and he happened to be friends with your dad. Networking is powerful and now you have a very useful connection that could really help to further your career. Awesome!
ReplyDelete