Before this class, I always got annoyed when receiving a rejection to a job because they always worded it in a round about way. I would prefer to just say, "sorry, you didn't get the job." But we viewed different letters of delivering bad news letters and there is a benefit to not being so direct.
I never have had to write a letter delivering bad news before. I have received bad news letters and rejection letters, but I never paid attention to how they were written. When writing a bad news letter, the way you organize and write can make a big difference in how the recipient receives it.
To write a bad news letter, you are supposed to use an indirect approach. The opening should give some information that applies to what you need to tell them but not say that you "firing" them. It should lead into the fact that you are firing them. Your body should give the bad news and reasons why. Then the closing should give them a positive outlook.
This has changed my view of bad news letters. They are harder to write than I would think. Now I won't be so judgmental when I receive a indirect letter. I understand that it is the nicer way to write it.
No comments:
Post a Comment