Thursday, February 27, 2014

Mock Interviews

Today in class we had to practice interviewing.  We had to come to class with a resume and cover letter dressed appropriate for an interview.  Even though it was not real and did not matter, I still got nervous.  When I hear the word interview, I immediately get uncomfortable and nervous.  I just do not like them.  What I realized today that I do not like the most is that when they ask an open ended question, I never know how much they want me to talk.  I do not know when I should stop talking and because of this I usually end up talking way too much.  One problem of mine is that I do not like silence and where this is a silence, I like to fill it.  This is not necessarily a good thing because sometimes I start talking in circles and need to just stop talking.

Some feedback I received was that when I am thinking about a question before I respond, I tend to look up.  This can make me look nervous and unprofessional.  I need to work on maintaining eye contact and not looking away distractedly.  And I had a bow on my shirt and near the end I started pulling on it and playing with it.  I did this probably because I started getting bored and wanted it to end already.  These are two good things for me to work on.  It is good for me to know of my bad habits so that in a real interview I do not do them.

2 comments:

  1. Mallory-

    Looking in the proverbial mirror is one of the most terrifying things ever. But, as with most things that freak us out and make us nervous, it is usually a good thing. :)

    Thanks for your post!

    Rock on

    Nyal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that being able to fill silence can be a great trait--if reigned in and utilized at the right time. Don't necessarily fight it all the time! Also, eye contact? Soo awkward sometimes. But I think it helps to think it can be just as much of a big deal for the person on the other end.

    ReplyDelete